The history of Śląsk dates back to 1953. This is when Śląsk State Folk Song and Dance Ensemble was founded. From the beginning its artistic director was Stanisław Hadyna – current patron of the institution. The group’s choreographer was Elwira Kamińska. The premiere of the first programme took place on 16 October 1954 in the Silesian Theatre in Katowice.
Today Śląsk Song and Dance Ensemble is a provincial culture institution of the Silesian Provence and one of the most important folk culture institutions in Poland. Located in Koszęcin palace and park estate, the group engages more than 100 artists. The dance group consists of 10 male soloists, 5 female soloists, 3 male coryphaei, 5 female coryphaei and 24 dancers.
A Centre of Regional Education operates at Śląsk. Each summer in Koszęcin, International School of Modern Dance, Polish Folk and National Dances Workshops, Folk Dance Workshops for Art Ensembles take place. They all are large-scale educational projects run by professionals of these fields.
The group’s artistic director is Zbigniew Cierniak, artistic manager – Kazimierz Ratajczak and ballet manager – Jarosław Świątek.